Feb 27, 2009

Introducing Myself

Greetings! So I see you've stumbled across my journal here. Whether it was because you were surfing Blogger or made a typo in your Google search for a guide to fixing your VCR, it doesn't matter to me; chances are, you've probably hit Back or closed the window already. If you're still reading, then allow me to welcome you. My pen name is Breaker, as it is my username for almost everything I do. I've made this blog as an output for the number of thoughts that cross my mind. Now, these aren't your typical "I wonder if Judy likes me?" thoughts. Rather, these are thoughts that relate to real-world events and life. My posts could deal with heavy controversial subjects like politics and religion, and they can also be about light social themes, like hobbies and interests. In a way, I sort of feel the need to make my point somehow. I mean, sure I could talk to friends or family, but I would rather try to avoid certain retorts. For example, if I were to get into a political discussion with a friend, he would simply end up ranting about Liberals, and that's not what I'm look for. I am not looking for silly one-sided complaints or narrow-minded criticism. So, I decided if I wanted to make my point, as well as recieve feedback from people I've never met, the best option would be to make a public online journal. This way, I do not need to worry about personal flares between people I know and myself. Now, I don't expect everyone who reads my posts to agree with me, and yes I do expect trolls and Poes, but what is important to me is that I make my thoughts known. So if you feel compelled to, you are free to comment on my posts, even if they are anonymous.

Now, a quick summary of who I am...

General Info

As it is, I don't feel the need to reveal my actual name, but you'll most likely eventually learn it from future posts. Let's begin with the basic facts, shall we? I am currently a 19-year-old male from Savannah, Georgia. I am a Hispanic/Caucasian mix; my mother was born and raised in the South American nation of Chile, and my father was born here in Georgia (since he was adopted, we do not know of what national descent he is). I am a college freshman attending Atlantic Armstrong State University, and a major in Fine Arts. Mom is a preschool teacher and Dad is a local trucker. I am at the time not working. I have younger 16-year-old brother who frequently gets on my nerves. Though I am technically single, a friend and myself have decided to start dating - this has yet to develop into a full relationship.

Personal Beliefs

Religion: I am a non-denominational Christian. This means that I do not associate myself with any of the major Christian denominations, such as the Catholic or Methodist churches. My faith is founded on personal studies of the Bible and the fundamental beliefs of Christian theology: God created the heavens and the earth, He sent Christ the Son to die for our sins, by His grace we are saved, and that the Son will return. Now, either you are probably doing one of three things: nodding your head in approval; shaking your head and rolling your eyes; saying "okay" and not really caring all that much. Now, let me go ahead and say this: though I am a Christian, many of my views do not fit with mainstream American Christianity. That is to say, I disagree with many fellow Christians on a number of issues regarding homosexuality, evolution, abortion, and other controversial subjects. I support basic gay civil rights, I believe in evolution, and I do not agree with most pro-life arguments. Now, many of you are probably wondering how can I be a Christian and be supportive of such ideas? I'll explain each of these manners in the future; however, it is imperative that you do not attack me until I have explained myself. Afterwards, I will accept any criticism.

That being said, I will warn you now that most of my posts are likely going to be centered around religion, as I have a lot to say about the Christian collective. I don't think I have to tell you that there is plenty to rant about.

Politics: Politics, in a way, is where I tend to do some "riding the fence", as it were. I really cannot find myself able to identify with neither the Democrats nor the Republicans. In fact, I feel as if these titles have polluted our basic American standards in recent years, but that's to be discussed another time. I suppose I do tend to learn towards Conservatism*, but recently I find my views closer to Liberalism. I see too much trouble in political parties and refuse to become a part of either. I know there are plenty of other minor parties about, but I don't have the time or patience to read up on each one's viewpoints. As for political media, I watch both CNN and Fox News. Yes, I am aware of the political biases present, but I watch both so that I can get a full understanding of what's going on, even if some stories are full of obvious political bull. That being said, I want to give a quick rundown of my views: I support gay rights, I am pro-choice to an extent, I do not support Creationism taught in schools, I currently do not approve of the war in Iraq but since it's already started I prefer to see it to the end, I have no opinion on taxes, I somewhat support gun control, I do not support illegal immigrants, I support most Democratic views on economy, I support national healthcare, I support environmental protection, and I support off-shore drilling.

Of course, there's a lot more, but I think that's enough for now.

Hobbies & Interests

Oye, where do I being? Alright, like most anybody my age, I'm into video games, music, and social life. As you probably know by now, I have a great interest in social issues based on religion and politics. I don't know where it came from, had this been three years ago, I wouldn't even think of touching politics nor having views that differed from mainstream Christianity. Anyway, let me explain everything in further detail for you.

Major: I believe I stated ealier that I was majoring in Fine Arts. To be more precies, my interests lie in graphic design, which is, simply put, art using computers. I love to mess around in Photoshop and Flash, and make logos and designs. Also, I enjoy making and editing videos in Sony Vegas, something I do often for church events. I'm also a "spriter", a person who makes small frames of video game animations. I used to do a lot in Microsoft Paint, and now I do everything in Photoshop. In addition, I draw and make pottery.

Music: Oh, dear, don't get me started. Seriously. I freaking love to listen to music. I mostly listen to rock, metal, funk, and hip-hop, and I'm beeing as vague as possible. When I say "metal", that includes nu metal, death metal, thrash metal, glam metal, and so on and so on. I listen to pretty much everything...well, anything that isn't modern. I have a distaste for modern music, what with acts like Simple Plan and Soulja Boy *shudder*. Do I think all modern music is bad? No. There are a few select groups I have come to approve of: Gorillaz, Demon Hunter, Coldplay, and Kelly Clarkson...to name a few. Most of my taste is revolved around 70s and 80s acts, like Alice Cooper, Joan Jett, Public Enemy, and Parliament-Funkadelic. Like I said, I have an extensive musical taste and if I continue on about it, I'd probably end up crashing the server.

Video Games: I see myself as a bit of an avid gamer. I don't collect games like I use to. You know, I don't go out and buy every new game that creates hype. I use to collect a whole bunch of games, but the cost for entertainment these days have hurt my wallet immensely. My console of choice is the Xbox 360. I also own a Nintendo 64, PlayStation 2, a Gamecube, and a GameBoy Advance. Honestly, I prefer classic gaming over most but there is plenty of that available on the net these days. Currently, I mostly play games from the Halo and Guitar Hero series, though certain classics such as Sonic and Yoshi's Island will always have a place in my heart.

Television: I don't really watch a whole lot of T.V. anymore. I'll watch some shows like Scrubs or House, but there's not that much that interests me anymore. Of course, there's classics like Fresh Prince and George Lopez; not to mention Colbert and Jon Stewart. Most of T.V. viewing time is taken up by watching the news more than anything. I don't see the point in following shows like Smallville or Heroes. *shrug*

Movies: I like movies. School of Rock is my favorite, no competition. I don't think there's any genre or theme that really captures me, I just go and see what movies seem to interest me. That said, I do have a thing for old B-Movies like Earth vs The Spider, but almost anything other than crappy CGI or romantic comedies could interest me. Pixar moves are great, and almost anything with Nicole Kidman has my vote.

Sports: Not my thing. I'll watch the Olympics, but sports really don't interest me at all. I'll say this though: I do not like Nascar. At all. Don't bother to mention it.

Books: Another weak area of mine. I don't read much. The only two series that have interested me are Left Behind and Babylon Rising. Other than that, there aren't many books I can really name right off the bat.

Okay, I think that's enough info for today, I'm quickly losing interest. So, come back some time to see what I have to say.

Later.



No comments: